The IC³ standard is an internationally developed and recognized symbol of digital literacy. Developed by a team of subject matter experts from around the globe, IC³ accurately and thoroughly represents the digital literacy skills needed in today’s fast-paced technology world.
Several important changes have been made to IC³ resulting in the GS3 Standard. This model outlines those changes and updates.
IC³ – A Dynamic Standard
Because technology changes and advances, the IC³ standard is updated to stay current. This evolution ensures that IC³ will always be a valid and relevant tool to measure proficiency in the latest key technologies for school, work, and life.
IC³ GS3 Standard
IC³ is considered by many as the industry standard for digital literacy, and Certiport works hard to keep it current with changes in technology. To help facilitate this, the Global Digital Literacy Council (GDLC, www.gdlcouncil.org) conducted a two-year review of IC³ which resulted in several updates to the standard. The new GS3 Standard exams reflect the skills and technology needed in today’s classroom and workplace environments.
Today’s economy requires familiarity with computers and the Internet. IC³ offers the opportunity to learn and demonstrate computer and Internet literacy through a worldwide industry standard that accurately validates skills and productivity in the workplace.
IC³ is the ideal starting point for anyone interested in learning computer and Internet basics. The program gives individuals sufficient internet and computing literacy skills to enter current job markets or begin higher education programs.
Global, broad-based IC³ certification verifies candidates possess the accepted standard level of basic computer and Internet literacy and are more efficient and marketable. Successful completion of IC³:
- Provides core skills and knowledge necessary to use commonly used computer applications and the Internet.
- Effectively tests computing knowledge and skills to ensure mastery are achieved.
- Gives a resume-building standard certification as proof of successful completion of the program.
- Provides the foundation necessary to further enhance productivity and marketability with other desktop application-specific certifications.
- Gives individuals confidence and security in being part of today’s “digital world”.
- National Skill Standards Board (NSSB) has recognized IC³ as the first computer certification.
- Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) has officially recognized IC³ as the foundational certification for all ICT industry certifications.
- IC³ has earned an ACE (American Council on Education) credit recommendation for college education in general education or computing literacy. From this, students can seek credit from more than 1,800 accredited, degree-granting colleges, universities, and other education-related organizations that are members of ACE.
- Manpower Inc. has implemented IC³ certification in their projects to provide solid computer literacy to the staff members.
- IC 3 Program Receives ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) NETS Seal of Alignment. IC³ certification distinguished as first NETS-aligned product available. ISTE established the National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) to set standards for competency in educational technology. For NETS to succeed, ISTE requires performance-based measurements of that competency.
- National Infocomm Competency Center (NICC) is a Singapore agency charged with evaluating certification programs for state funding. This endorsement enables recognition and funding of IC³ courses by the Singapore government’s technology development agency – Infocomm Development Authority (IDA).
- Reliance Webstores Ltd has made IC3 a preferred qualification for entry level jobs at Reliance Webstores through out India.
What are the areas covered in IC³ certification exam?
An IC³ certificate is earned once knowledge and skills in specific key areas have been demonstrated through the successful completion of the three exams. The IC³ certification is easily portable and can be used globally as a benchmark for required knowledge and skills.
The new certification program is comprised of three sections integrating performance-based and knowledge-based modules widely considered the fairest and most accurate testing methodology currently available.
To get the certification, the candidate has to pass three exams
- Computer Hardware
- Computer Software
- Using an Operating System
- Common Program Functions
- Word Processing Functions
- Spreadsheet Functions
- Presentation Software Functions
- Networks and the Internet
- Electronic Mail
- Using the Internet
- The Impact of Computing and the Internet on Society.